At a Glance
|Strategic Outcomes||SO6 Enhanced adaptation to climate change|
|Start Date||Q2 April 21, 2022|
|End Date||q4 February 28, 2025|
|Actual Budget (USD)||1,950,000|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||0|
|GGGI Share (USD)|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers||poverty, gender|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)||United Kingdom: FCDO Uganda|
|Name of consortium members, if any||Climate Change Department|
The TCFU will lead in Uganda’s transformational change in access to climate finance, with a new, programmatic approach at country level, based on Uganda’s national climate action plans and priorities and supported by coherent, programmatic finance from multilateral and bilateral partners as is also the aim of the COP 26 “Taskforce on Access to Climate Finance” (TACF or Taskforce) in which Uganda is one of the pioneer country trials.
The main goal of the project is to the establish a TCFU, through a step change to extant plans, that
upholds the principles and recommendations of the TACF.
The objectives are set out as specific outcomes:
1. TCFU is established in the MoFPED
2. National Climate Finance Strategy (NCFS) is launched
3. Stakeholder Capacity enhanced
4. As a Taskforce pioneer trial-country, Uganda has tested the practical viability of the new approach to financing national climate priorities.
Detailed Description of the Scope of Work
In light of the objectives listed above and the provisions of the National Climate Change Law, the Project shall support MoFPED with the following – which is captured in the Logical Framework below:
1. Identify and mobilise financing for an Upstream Pipeline Development Facility (UPDF). The UPDF will be used to develop project proposals, ideally 1 or 2, before the COP27. We shall report these “quick wins” ahead or during the COP27.
2. Establish the preferred elements or sectors of national climate action planning as well as possible modalities for coordinated financial support as part of the ‘new approach’, on the basis of the TACF Principles and Recommendations.
3. Identify any key capacity needs and/ or key resource gaps in relation to those elements / sectors, building on extant investment plans, as well as any further work needed to ensure an investable plan is in place as the basis for the country trial.
4. Identify any required primary and secondary legislation, or legislative amendments, necessary for the establishment of the TCFU and the implementation of the other climate finance aspects of the National Climate Change Law; Design the operating model of the TCFU which includes any activities in relation to the Taskforce within the TCFU at MoFPED – its organisation and management structure, staffing requirements, skill requirements, job descriptions, training requirements, key processes, information requirements, systems requirements and how it Interfaces with external entities.
5. Advise MoFPED on the most efficient relationship between the TCFU and
ii. Local Government Authorities
iii. Private sector
iv. Development Partners
6. Prepare documents necessary to guide the implementation of the TCFU, including draft procedures and operating manuals;
7. Develop an indicative budget for the TCFU, and recommendations on how this budget might be
financed. Support the TCFU, and facilitate, conversations with potential Development Partners
which are likely needed to support the initial start of the TCFU.
8. Assist the Ministry in the recruitment of staff for the TCFU and the Taskforce.
9. To conduct capacity building to attract and retain more climate finance including providing initial training sessions, in respect of the above-noted materials, for the staff of the TCFU and other relevant MoFPED and GoU stakeholders.
10. Start executing the initial tasks of the Taskforce, including the identification of the focus areas and implementation modalities, start climate finance attraction through proposal development of public projects for anchor donors, identify both capacity needs and funding needs using the NDC, Vision 2040, UGGDS, NDP3 and SDG commitments as guidance (among other documents). The aim is to realize some quick wins to be presented at the COP27
- The Transitional Climate Finance Unit (TCFU) established in the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MoFPED)
- National Climate Finance Strategy is launched
- The capacity of key stakeholders is built.
- As a Taskforce pioneer country trial, Uganda has tested the practical viability of the “new
approach “to financing national climate priorities
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|